PETER B. STEIN
Direct dial: (651) 602-3439
Born East Orange, New Jersey, 1947; admitted to Bar, 1976.
Education: Wesleyan University (B.A., 1970);
Georgetown University (J.D., 1975).
Listed in the 21st Edition of Best Lawyers in America ©2014. Selected for inclusion in "Super Lawyers" list by Law & Politics, MPLS.ST.PAUL and Twin Cities Business Monthly magazines, August, 1999 through 2014.
Chairman: Bankruptcy Practice Committee of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court, District of Minnesota. Former Investigator/Committee Member: Second Judicial District State Bar Ethics Committee. Associate Member: Minnesota Banker's Association and Independent Community Bankers of Minnesota.
Mr. Stein's practice emphasizes creditor's rights in bankruptcy, creditor's rights under the Uniform Commercial Code, commercial loan enforcement and workouts, litigation, general collections, and appellate practice in those areas.
Publications and teaching experience include:
"Receivables Financing: Dangers and Opportunities" (2014 SBA Minnesota Lenders Conference);
- “FDIC Lawsuits Against Officers and Directors” (M.C.L.E Banking Law Institute, 2013);
- "Tales of FDIC Lawsuits against Officers and Directors" (Minn I.C.B.M--2012);
- "The New Minnesota Statute on Receiverships and Assignments for Benefit of Creditors" (Minn. M.B. A.-- 2012);
- "What Every Banker Needs to Know About the Recent Changes to Article 9 of the UCC (Minn I.C.B.M Webcast--2012);
- "Workouts and Bank Regulation—Why Won't the Bank Work with Me?"
(M.C.L.E. Bankruptcy Law Institute, 2010);
- "Commercial Loan Workouts 2010" (M.C.L.E. Banking Law Institute, 2010);
"Bailout for the Financially Distressed Individual Debtor: A General Practitioner’s Guide to the Discharge in Bankruptcy and Related Concepts and Procedures” (M.C.L.E., 2008);
“Workouts, Liquidation and Bankruptcy 2006” (Center for Financial Training, I.C.B.M., 2006);
"Workouts, Bankruptcies and Liquidations—The Lender's Perspective" (Robert Morris Associates, 2004, 1991, 1990, and 1989);
- “Bankruptcy Reform Act 2006—Major Changes Affecting Creditors and their Counsel” (M.C.L.E., 2006);
- Sixty Things Creditors and Counsel Should Know about the Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention and Consumer Protection Act of 2005” (M.C.L.E., 2005);
"Lies! Lies! Lies!—What Lies? Does the Use of a Credit Card Involve a Representation?" (M.C.L.E. Bankruptcy Institute, 1999);
- "Consumer Bankruptcy Basics" (M.C.L.E., 1999 through 2004);
- "Means Testing" (M.C.L.E. Bankruptcy Institute, 1998);
- "Crime & Punishment: Tales of Discharge and Dischargeability" (M.C.L.E. Bankruptcy Institute, 1997);
- "The Challenge of Asset Valuation" (M.C.L.E. Bankruptcy Institute, 1996);
"Bank Remedies on Defaulted Consumer Loans" (Twin Cities Lenders Association, 1995);
"Sex, Lies and False Financial Statements: Selected Issues Involving Dischargability and Denial of Discharge" (M.C.L.E. Bankruptcy Institute,
- "Getting to the Foreclosure Sale, and Beyond, Despite the Debtor's Bankruptcy" (M.C.L.E. Real Estate Institute, 1993);
"Regulation of Activities Upon Default" and "Regulation of Charges by Lenders" (Minnesota Banker's Association Compliance School, December, 1989, 1990 and 1991);
"Usury in Minnesota" (Minnesota Banker's Association Compliance School, April, 1989);
"The Most Favored Lender Doctrine and the VanderWeyst decision" (M.C.L.E. - "Successfully Representing Financial Institutions", 1988);
"Consumer Bankruptcy Issues" (M.C.L.E. - Bankruptcy Institute - 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990 and 1991);
- "Minimizing the Risks of Self Help Repossessions - Elements and Alternatives" (M.C.L.E. —"Successfully Representing Financial Institutions", 1986, 1987 and 1988);
- "Perfecting the Transfer of a Vendor's Interest in Real Estate as Security" (Minnesota Continuing Legal Education Real Estate Institute, 1985).
Mr. Stein is a frequent presenter to continuing legal education
programs and to lenders.